Elkan Speech and Language support 3-5
This highly successful accredited course has been written to support staff working with pupils aged 3-5 years. All tutors are specifically trained by Elklan. This course trains early years practitioners working within education, playgroups, day nurseries and other early years settings.
It is also suitable for teaching staff and assistants working with pupils in Reception or P1 classes.
The course covers the following topics:
- What is communication?
- Adult child interaction and non-verbal communication.
- Understanding first words and using visual strategies.
- Understanding beyond simple sentences.
- Language for Learning model is taught.
- Modifying adults’ speech to help a child understand
- Information carrying word (ICW) model.
- Encouraging expressive language development.
- Promoting effective communication and social skills.
- Management of stammering
Duration: It is designed to run over 10 weeks although can be taught in five half day sessions or 3 full days.
Learning Outcome: Participants can achieve 6 credits at level 2 or 3.
The choice of level is made by the individual with guidance from the course tutors. Learning is through presentations, handouts, videos, discussions, practical tasks and a course workbook to complete.